top of page

750 years of history

The history of Falnués goes back to the 13th century when the Dungeon was built, which originally had its foundations in the old bed of the Orneau. Falnurée comes from the word “Fagus”: beech.

Contemporary of the Château de Mielmont located on the cliffs at the bottom of the practice, the tower watched over the Orneau Valley, while another even more imposing tower, erected 1.5km to the west, watched over the Vallée de la Ligne à Villeret.

These three monuments were part of the defense system of the Count of Namur against that of the Duchy of Brabant, of which the Château de Corroy-Le-Château, the Château de Sombreffe and the City of Gembloux were only a few kilometers away.

It was around 1430 that the Belgian provinces were reunited by Philippe Le Bon and that Falnurée lost its defensive role. He sold his fiefdom to a noble family. This is how a house was added, then stables and barns. A coat of arms on the large stable indicates the date 1742.

The tower was restored in the 19th century.

Originally there was to be a drawbridge and the roof was flat. One of the remarkable features is the corbelled latrine. At the time, it was “tout à l'Orneau”.

After the French Revolution, the farm kept its agricultural vocation until 1987.


The Chalk Grassland

More than 5 hectares of the Golf de Falnués are in the Natura 2000 zone.

This is to say if Falnués is a site rich in biodiversity.


And its jewel is the chalk grassland, an embankment located below the fairway of hole N ° 14, which is characterized by its particular flora that one would rather find in the Alps or in the south of France.


One of its most remarkable hosts is the Demi-Deuil, a butterfly which is here the most northerly of its range.

bottom of page